Saturday, August 21, 2010

I have type 2 diabetes (diet controlled) is that a reason for my unexplained weight loss?

3 months ago I weighed 137 now I am down to 124 lbs. I have done nothing different really other then not eating or drinking sugar. Do you think this can be a cause for my unexplained weight loss I haven't weighed this amount since I was 15 and now I am 26. I have been laying around the house for 6 months due to not having a job and watching my children, I'd think I would be gaining weight b/c I get no exercise. What do you think?I have type 2 diabetes (diet controlled) is that a reason for my unexplained weight loss?
Sugars negative effects on the liver and kidney can cause people who do not increase calories to gain weight as well as retain alot of water.





My guess is that since you cut it out of your diet, you probably lost alot of water that your body was retaining in order to help your organs dilute the sugar. Since you are no longer consuming sugar, you no longer need to retain the extra water.I have type 2 diabetes (diet controlled) is that a reason for my unexplained weight loss?
The fact that you are losing weight while on zoloft is interesting as it normally causes people to gain weight.





People start becoming insulin resistant prior to becoming diabetic (diabetes is an extreme case of insulin resistance), and it is the high levels of insulin in the body that cause people to gain weight. This is why people who are type 2 diabetic and take insulin often gain even more weight. Until the high levels of insulin in their body are corrected, most people find it difficult if not impossible to lose weight.





Sounds like you might have reversed the insulin resistance and gotten the cells to be insulin sensitive again.





Are you also on a low carb diet? That usually helps with insulin problems.
Yes it is quite possible that you have lost about 1lb a week if you have cut out sugar. It is also possible if your blood sugar levels are not controlled well then that might be the cause. Check your glucose levels and if they are high you need to talk to your doctor about it. It would probably help you control your diabetes if you got some exercise why not take the kids for a walk or to the park and play ball, you may even lose some more weight and may be able to control your diabetes by diet alone. Good luck and well done on the weight loss.


c


retired nurse/diabetic
Are you checking your glucose levels? or just not drinking sugars? and are you doing anything about the starchy carbohydrates in your food plan or just eating them?





I recommend you go see your doctor if you aren't checking your glucose levels, eating a very low carb food plan and exercising! The unexplained weight loss is NOT in control of your glucose levels!
Most probably, your weight loss is due to your effective diet control and on zoloft for correcting the chemical imbalance in the brain. If you feel more comfortable with 124 lbs., then why worry about it? For your peace of mind, please see a doctor for more consultations. Good luck to you and God bless.
Yes, it certainly could be. You need to go visit the doctor again and have your blood sugar tested. It could just be from cutting out sugar - but you should go get checked. Do you test your own blood sugar? If not, you should be doing that. You might need to adjust your meds.





Exercise and eating right can totally REVERSE type 2 diabetes.
maybe 124 is a better weight for you.
I'm thinking it's the sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment