Saturday, August 21, 2010

Can the birth control pill make weight loss harder?

This is my first time on the pill (I just started taking Yasmin) and have gained a little weight. I have started exercising and watching what I'm eating, but it's not working the way it always has in the past when I've put on a few pounds. I want to stop the weight gain now while it's still a small amount but it seems like nothing is working. Could the pill be sabotaging my efforts? Thanks!Can the birth control pill make weight loss harder?
Yes. Many women experience weight gain as a side-effect of taking the birth control pill.





The average weight gain is 4 pounds - generally in the first three months.





Progestogen is thought to be the link between the pill and weight gain, and much depends on how the individual reacts to it.





But any weight gain caused by the contraceptive pill is generally fairly modest and unlikely to be greater than 4-6 pounds.Can the birth control pill make weight loss harder?
I've heard it can make it harder to lose weight, and also that it can make it difficult to maintain a high percentage of muscle mass. I don't know if that's true though. It could just be in our heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment