Friday, August 6, 2010

Can birth control help weight loss (might have PCOS)?

I think I have PCOS and my doctor said I should get a blood test. She prescibed birth control which should make me regular and clear up my skin, and said once the blood test results came back she would give me metformin (for weight loss). The problem is that I can't afford a blood test and will probably have trouble just paying for the BC for the next few months (I'm 18, no insurance). I was wondering if I could just take BC by itself and if that would be enough to help me with weight loss and this disorder?Can birth control help weight loss (might have PCOS)?
You need a real doctor. Fire the one you have. The endocrine system is a very delicate orchestra that needs to maintain a balance. Birth Control pills interrupt the feed back loops the body uses to regulate your hormones. Yes, it keeps you from getting pregnant, but the damage it does to your body is just not worth it.





If you have PCOS, e-mail me for a protocol and I will be glad to send it to you.





In regard to the weight loss issue, please, please, don't let doctors give you drugs or advice on how to lose weight. They have no clue. They are drug pushers, not nutritionists. They do not have nutrition training and rely on the media for their information. I would get the book, ';Life Without Bread'; by Christian Allan, Ph.D. to learn how to regulate your diet to lose weight. It is a very good book and easy to understand. Also, you may want to get the book, ';Nourishing Traditions'; by Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, Ph.D. Read the first 63 pages that explains about food and basic nutrition. The rest of the book is a very good cook book with many recipes that are good for you.





good luckCan birth control help weight loss (might have PCOS)?
you may need more than that if that is the diagnosis Can you not get some medical assitance to pay? If it is PCOS You can also benefit from losing weight oif heavy- try the low carbohydarte approach unnless you have luck with some other style of losing.
No birth control by itself won't help all your problems. I struggled with PCOS for years until finally having a total hysterectomy at the age of 31. The pill should help with your regularity and maybe even your skin, but it most likely won't have any effect on your weight. If you are having trouble money wise (no insurance and all) talk with your MD about it...quite often they will either charge you less for your visits, sometimes they have free or low cost samples of meds they can give you...at the very least your MD should be able to let you know the best way of getting the treatment you need with or without insurance.


Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment